Since 1980, Mr. Ghalibaf has been an active participant in hotel operations and management. He has also been involved in planning, development, and management operations of more than $2 million in independent real estate projects. Currently he is the owner and oversees the operation of The Hotel Northampton located at 36 King Street, Northampton, MA, 01060, and the newly built (2014) Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott at 115A Conz Street, Northampton, MA.
Mr. Ghalibaf came to The Hotel Northampton in 1990 as the Controller with the task of taking the hotel out of bankruptcy. In 1992 under new ownership, Mr. Ghalibaf was promoted to General Manager and was tasked with operating and improving the hotel. Improvements came from the following projects:
- Converting the “country store” to 4 hotel suites named Cottages;
- Converting the District Attorney’s office space which included two floors of the annex building to 16 guest rooms (queen and king beds; rooms 170-177 and 270-277) and 2 meeting spaces—Insiders Boardroom and Executive Boardroom;
- Creating Gothic Gardens—converted office space to 7 luxury rooms including 1 large suite with a sitting area and kitchenette.
In 1992 the total annual revenue of the Hotel was over $2 million—today it is over $7 million. He held the General Manager title from 1992 until 2010.
Prior to his current position, Mr. Ghalibaf worked in various positions not only for The Hotel Northampton, but for the Sheraton Hotel Group as well. At the 375-room Sheraton Tara Framingham Hotel, he held several positions from 1979 to 1990 including restaurant Server, Guest Services Representative, Night Auditor, Systems Manager, Front Office Manager, and Assistant Controller.
Mr. Ghalibaf holds a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting from Southeastern Massachusetts University.
Mr. Ghalibaf’s Professional Service:
- 1st Vice President on the Executive Committee, Massachusetts Restaurant Association
- Board of Directors and served as Treasurer on the Executive Board, Massachusetts Lodging Association
- Board of Trustees Member, and Finance Committee Member, Florence Savings Bank
- Board Member, UMASS Fine Arts Center
- Member for the local Rotary Club chapter
Mr. Ghalibaf’s Civic Involvement:
- Raised $35,000 for the Clarke School for the Deaf; Northampton, MA
- Raised $50,000 the Academy of Music; Northampton, MA
Mr. Ghalibaf has been awarded:
- Massachusetts Restaurant Association’s Restaurateur of the Year in 2003
- American Hotel and Lodging Association’s Most Valuable Volunteer in 2006
- Massachusetts Governors Leadership Award in 2007
- Massachusetts Hospitality Hall of Fame in 2011
- President’s Award for the Rotary Club